Why Choose Avnet?
At Avnet, we help our customers turn their ideas into technology. We supply and deliver to contract manufacturers and original equipment manufacturers worldwide – whether they are entrepreneurial start-ups or global businesses looking for a competitive edge.
We support you with advice, product design and development expertise to be your true partner in getting your ideas into the real world, and to market more quickly, more cost effectively and more efficiently. Our experience means you can trust us to support you with all aspects of your project and product.
Our software team includes Microsoft software specialists and architects, who can advise on the optimal setup from a data/sensor level, to IoT gateways, to OEM devices, to on-premise server solutions all the way to the Cloud. Avnet can also support customers in better utilizing their data – which could for example help with predictive maintenance or in building new services and offerings. To support cloud technologies Avnet has built a unique “IoTConnect” Platform-as-a-Service solution on top of Microsoft Azure, which is recommended by Microsoft.
Windows Embedded and IoT Operating Systems
The Windows Embedded channel, or OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) channel sits alongside the other channels of Desktop, System builder and EPG divisions, and is focused on embedded and IoT devices and systems across industries such as Healthcare, Transportation, Industrial and Building Automation, Retail and others. In the Embedded channel, manufacturers have access to technology for 10 years without the need to buy the latest version and giving more longevity to embedded products. Importantly, extended support is included with all embedded licenses, giving Microsoft security updates and critical patching for 10 years.
Embedded licensing is designed specifically for OEMs to use Microsoft products on proprietary devices in dedicated scenarios. For commercial products like Server 2019 or Windows 10 Pro, the buyer is the end user, who has the direct relationship with Microsoft. Because Embedded licensing is only available for use on dedicated function devices and is not for general purpose computing, a COA (Certificate of Authenticity) sticker is required for each device or system and product keys are tied to the system, not the company or user.
Embedded operating systems are based on the Windows platform (Windows Enterprise for Windows 10 IoT) and contain all the features, security and additional controls not available in ordinary OS licenses. For example, it is possible to reduce the software footprint, control updates, lock-down ports, and enter “Kiosk mode” where only the business application and not windows underneath is accessible.
Embedded Servers all available in all versions (Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter etc.). In most cases the installation files are identical to standard versions. In addition, the Embedded license provides full access to additional features and controls in the server. In the Embedded channel, additional server licenses exist to fit your specific configuration and it is possible to buy a specific server product and licence for 15 years. This means you don’t have to buy the latest version and do subsequent downgrade actions, which is the only option in the commercial/mainstream channel.
Special CAL-less license
Avnet can also offer the new CAL-Less Server licenses, which are sold under special and beneficial license terms. CAL-less means that User and Device CALs are not required and this is often preferred with many of our customers and can mean that there are substantial savings on offer, especially where multiple licences are required.
Embedded SQL Servers
Embedded SQL Servers contain the same Embedded benefits including 10 years support and are often significantly cheaper than commercial licenses. Only active compute nodes in an appliance need an Embedded licence, compared to core based licenses when everything does.
Choosing Windows Embedded software gives you access to a number of benefits not available to regular (non-embedded) customers, such as:
- More licence options and a more competitive pricing structure, ensuring the licence you buy is the most cost effective for your business.
- The ability to build, sell and distribute product globally with the Microsoft Embedded licence installed.
- More control over when updates are scheduled.
- Additional software functionality and security options such as extra ports and users.
- Extended product availability and support (typically 10years plus the option to extend by another 3-5 depending on location), helping you maximise your investment.
- No need to buy the latest commercial licence and subsequently downgrade at an additional cost.
- One unique key for OS Desktop
- OEM Activation (OA) rights for Embedded Servers.
- Worldwide shipment – this is not limited to one region as it is in other channels.
- Access to extended vendor support such as Microsoft technical support.
- Access to a detailed Avnet Azure reporting tool which is updated every 24 hours to display consumption and price.
- A range of consultancy, training and extra support services not open to non-Embedded customers.
- Even though they include all the above enhancements, Embedded licences are still typically better value than commercial licenses.
Embedded Microsoft Products available through Avnet
We can offer a full menu of Windows embedded Microsoft products.